Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Grass Stains


Grass stains, brand new khaki pants.
Lost in my thoughts trying to sympathize.
What is it like to tell the world you’re degenerate?
That you’re a Fiend.  What is it like?
I put my things away and I walked inside.
You followed me.
“Up the stairs, they’re sitting there.
It’s time to tell them, you have to tell them.
Up the stairs, they’re sitting there.”
I have never been so scared.
I acted like a man, but I was just 16,
Supporting sports teams, having peculiar wet dreams.
We argued like we had something to say.
We stole from QT cause we didn’t have money to pay.
And it haunts me to this day.
Running away only makes it feel more authentic.
I told you I was joking, but you knew that I meant it.
The Doctor said I’ve got hell in my head.
But, when I look around I don’t feel all that different.
For a while I wasn’t sure if I was a man or not.
Thank God you told me you were having the same thoughts.
“Don’t take your thoughts so seriously.
Weird shit sometimes gets up in your head.”
You probably thought I wasn’t listening,
But I clung to every word that you said.

No comments:

Post a Comment